On June 13, we celebrated the 110th anniversary of the founding of Adventist HealthCare Washington Adventist Hospital. The Washington Sanitarium, which eventually became Washington Adventist Hospital, was founded in 1907 as a place where people came for relaxation in nature.
The hospital began with 40 beds and a staff of 12 after Ellen G. White and her husband James – Seventh-day Adventist leaders dedicated to new ideas of health and wellness – bought land in Takoma Park using proceeds from Ellen’s book, The Ministry of Healing.
Daniel Kress, MD, the hospital’s first medical superintendent and surgeon, and his wife Lauretta Kress, MD, Montgomery County’s first female doctor, also helped lay our foundation of whole-person healing. The Kresses devoted their lives to the Adventist Church, caring and medicine. The Kresses created a School of Nursing that graduated its first class in 1909, and Lauretta Kress opened a special maternity ward at the hospital in 1916.
As we celebrate the 110th year of our health ministry in this community, we are proud to continue the Whites’ and Kresses’ legacy and embark on a new and exciting chapter as we build a modern, integrated healthcare facility. Innovative building designs and services will form the clinical cornerstone of the White Oak Science Gateway. The new hospital campus will feature a green roof, rooms with lake views and additions to the natural landscape such as a walking trail around the lake.
Since the beginning, Washington Adventist Hospital has brought health to the community and the community into health, and we look forward to carrying that idea forward when the new hospital opens its doors in 2019.